Saturday 30 January 2016

ATC Log

Well, I spent most of the weekend at EGSS tower, and I must say it was one of the best ATC weekends so far. I have some pictures which ill insert below. We had a plane party at Alpha-East with some great landings and landing recoveries from all the wind problems recently.

I have learned a fair amount about routes too! I have started adding some XML files to to EGSS which if anyone thinks its a good idea then post comments and I'll put them up for download so if anyone else wants to use EGSS then they can have the routes.

I have updated the "ATC at EGSS" page (linked to on the right) with information about visiting EGSS when I am in the tower. I will add the routes to this and some guidelines/hints that might help.

This week has been a great week, I have learned SO much I'm not even sure if I can express it all in one post! We have had some visitors from all over the world this week. I have learned most about vectoring, routes and more procedural stuff.

Okay, here is a little of what I learned recently;
  • Vectoring into turns: I try to do it gradually, this means take a position around the apex of the turn I want them to manoeuvre, just as they are reaching this position I give a vector halfway between their current and the exit, when at this point simply give exit+10 degrees and they will come around. One pilot even remarked that on his map when I did this it looked like he was perfectly on the bow line. 
  
  • Not so accurate: I have very recently been told that real ATC only give headings where the last digit is a 0 or 5. Makes sense due to the fuzzy nature of flying, also it seems to let the pilots let on edge trying to keep such a tight course, thanks guy that told me this thing.

  • Navaids are my friend!: Yeah, now I can use simple routes I have been using these, and I'm trying to be smart about how I do it too, as you never know when a pilot knows about it or not (this IS the internet after all) so I give a heading TO a position, if the pilot in his read back just said "HDG to blah blah" whatever waypoint or route then I know I can use whichever safely.

A friend on FlightGear took some pictures when I was in the tower, he said I could post them here, so here is a picture of me giving a shortened ATIS to a pilot (I sometimes cut the radio bit off if I'm already in voice and just using the ATIS button to be clear).

In this picture you can see the Stansted tower model.

If any FG scenery makes are watching this ... ahem .. ahem .. more buildings please. But the tower model is nice.



And here is my friend leading a regular departure to his holding position.

I love having ground crew! so much fun to have people there with you.







Okay, I'll post up very soon when I have something constructive to say, I'm also working on "Morlan's tips for newbies" which will be a list of the things I was doing wrong and what I did to fix them, and some things I find helpful when things get hairy.

Also, if any FG Flyers are reading this come visit me at Stansted, you aren't in the mood to fly that's fine Alpha East is reserved parking for the Stansted Airport Chat Group.




No comments:

Post a Comment